Friday, February 27, 2015

Great Divide

Today I had a "blast to the past" experience.
 
I used to take care of a couple of kids every Mon/Wed/Fri morning. They were children of a single mother who was unable to get her kids to school before work. So I would go take care of them in the mornings and send them off to school. It was a challenging but extremely rewarding year for me. I love those kids and their mother very much and am happy I am still able to help them out when they need it. Today, was one of those days.
 
The youngest daughter (an 8 year old, in the 3rd grade) suffers from severe anxiety. Obviously, I can relate. She found out she was having a sub today. Change that she is not prepared for triggers her anxiety to an all-time high. She literally gets sick to her stomach and has unfortunately missed quite a bit of school due to this fear. Today, we found out she was going to have a substitute. I walked her to her classroom and introduced her to her sub. I offered to stay with her for as long as I could (I had a previous engagement later at 11:30 AM). I sat with her and school got started. By the time the class went to specialties she started complaining of a stomach ache (that she claimed was not due to nerves, but it was). I eventually checked her out and took her home.
 
As I sat with this sweet little girl today, I was reminded of my elementary school days. The pain and anxiety that she is experiencing is so real. It is so out of her control. My heart aches for her. I know exactly how she feels! Her poor mother is struggling with what to do. I can tell it hurts her as much as it is hurting her daughter.
 
I know that things will get better. She is a strong and brave little girl who has gone through so much. I pray that she and her mother will not give up. That they will continue to have hope.
 
"Everybody in this life has their challenges and difficulties. That is part of our mortal test. The reason for some of these trials cannot be readily understood except on the basis of faith and hope because there is often a larger purpose which we do not always understand. Peace comes through hope." - President James E. Faust from his 1999 Conference address Hope, an Anchor of the Soul
 
I love this song. It is so beautiful. It is truly a song of hope. I thought about this song today as I pondered this little girls situation and the difficult time both mother and daughter are going through. It is hard!
 
 
The earth is shaking under siege
And every breath will meet it's fate
Still we hunger for a moment of freedom
Even though the hour is late

I find hope and it gives me rest
I find hope in a beating chest
I find hope in what eyes don't see
I find hope in your hate for me
Have no fear when the waters rise
We can conquer this great divide
When every eye is on the fortune
It can only breed contempt
They say blood is thicker than oceans
Still we box our brothers in

I find hope and it gives me rest
I find hope in a beating chest
I find hope in what eyes don't see
I find hope in your hate for me
Have no fear when the waters rise
We can conquer this great divide

Whoa, ooo, ooo, ooo, ooo
Whoa, ooo, ooo, ooo, ooo
Whoa, ooo, ooo, ooo, ooo
And we're gone
And we're gone
And we're holding on
And we're holding on
And we're holding on

I find hope and it gives me rest
I find hope in a beating chest
I find hope in what eyes don't see
I find hope in your hate for me
Have no fear
Have no fear when the waters rise
We can conquer this great divide

Whoa, ooo, ooo, ooo
Whoa, ooo, ooo, ooo
Whoa, ooo, ooo, ooo
 
 
 

No comments:

Post a Comment

Thanks for leaving me a comment! I would ask you to please refrain from vulgar language, to speak appropriately and respectfully, to post only positive and uplifting messages and to please avoid swearing. Thanks!